Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Electric Propulsion System (m/f/d)
Zeitpunkt der Veröffentlichung: 17.06.2020
Standort: Zeiloch 20, 76646 Bruchsal, Germany
We at Volocopter are pioneers in the development of electrical air taxis that take off and land vertically (eVTOLs). We bring Urban Air Mobility to life, by establishing air taxis in addition to current transportation options in megacities globally. Our aim is to offer affordable on-demand air taxi services and save people time by flying them safely to their destination. In 2011 we performed the first-ever manned flight of a purely electrical multicopter and have since showcased numerous public flights with our full-scale Volocopter (www.volocopter.com).
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer for the Electric Propulsion System, you will coordinate the mechanical design of multiple systems in the complete Low and High Voltage system. These include for instance mechanical parts and interfaces of the motor/inverter, power distribution system, HV batteries... You will work together with suppliers and the Volocopter engineers to steer and align the components and interfaces to an optimized design. You will work on in-house designed parts or deliver inputs in the form of quick CAD sketches, hand calculations, interface drawings and requirements. This role is therefore very diverse and flexible in terms of topics and content.
- Create interface concepts based on hand sketches and translate them into 3D models.
- Create detail design 3D CAD models of lightweight alloy, and composites parts related to electric systems.
- Perform structural load calculations and analysis (Hand/1D calculations and sensitivity analysis, possibly simple FEM models).
- Create 2D technical drawings for components, jigs and assemblies.
- Support the BOM, procurement and supplier coordination of mechanical parts.
- Support design optimization (lightweighting, manufacturability, assembly) activities.
- Define and manage requirements for mechanical interfaces and assemblies.
- Support in generating test plans that increase system knowledge and/or demonstrate requirements compliance.
- Support in generating assembly and/or manufacturing work instructions that ensure design correct functionality.
- Assist in generating/close NCR, Concessions, Part release, Change Request.
- Generate documentation following the EASA DOA requirements.
- Collaborate with test, prototype and system engineers to assess design proposals.
- Support the interfaces development from concept to production, resolving all design, manufacturing and assembly issues along the way.
- As Avionics System Engineer you will develop requirement specifications on the system, subsystem and component level
- You will develop technical design descriptions for suppliers and subcontractors for your system
- Moreover, you will support the development of company development standards according to ARP 4754A
- You will make sure your system is reaching quality and certification standards by supporting qualification and certification activities for your system
- University degree in Aerospace Engineering or Mechanical/Vehicle Engineering or Mechatronics (aerospace specialization, MSc/M.Eng preferred).
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a mechanical engineer in the aerospace industry is required.
- Good knowledge of a CAD system is required (preferably Siemens NX).
- Experienced in making technical drawings and applying the corresponding standards for dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Ability to perform basic analytical strength calculations and document them.
- Basic understanding of aerospace requirements and standards like CS-23, CS-27, SC-VTOL and DO-160.
- High level of self-reliance with the ability to work in a team, as well as autonomously.
- Target-oriented, driven work style with analytic problem-solving skills.
- Fluent English language skills are essential, fluent German or any other language is beneficial
- Fast-growing high tech company with a supreme network of investors and partners
- Ability to contribute directly to the future of aviation
- The chance to build up new things/projects from scratch
- Personal responsibility, growth and learning opportunities, based on your personal strengths
- An inspiring working environment with modern workspaces, flexible work time, short lines of communication, flat structures, positive leadership, great team spirit
- Competitive salary package
Our differences make us stronger. At Volocopter, we stand for inclusion for all. We believe that diversity drives innovation and are committed to building a culture where difference is valued. Come and join us on our journey!